[Ifeffit] Re: ifeffit_1.0077 compilation problem

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu May 8 11:27:50 CDT 2003

Hi Paul,

I'm responding to this one on the mailing list.

As many people have noticed, there are several problems with
the 1.0077 distribution of Ifeffit. It seems that it should be
treated as a 'test' version.  Most of the problems are small
from my end (that is, easy to fix, even if show-stoppers for
functionality or building).  I'll be changing the links to
ifeffit.tar.gz to point to versions ifeffit-1.0077a.tar.gz,
ifeffit-1.0077b.tar.gz, .... over the next few days for
testing.  If you're brave, you can try the latest test version
and let me know what's not working.  Otherwise, we should have
a stable, working 1.0078 sometime next week, possibly with
some of the wrappers using some of the new features.

As more people are using Ifeffit/Athena/Sixpack for real work,
it seems that having a stable version is good idea.  So I'm
leaning toward calling the next release (ie, 1.0078)
Ifeffit-1.100 and only fixing bugs, and build problem for this
version so that this can be the 'stable, recommended' version,
and can get better tests and documentation to really reflect
this stable version.

I can then start a beta series for new features and build
systems, and expect only beta testers to be affected.  Any
comments on this?

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Paul Fons wrote:
> In attempting to compile 1.0077 of ifeffit, I encountered some
> unresolved symbols.  A grep search seems to indicate that atomic.f has
> the definitions, but it doesn't seem to be in the macosx makefile.
> Any suggestions?

Yes,  two suggestions:
 1. Run  'configure; make ' work from the base ifeffit directory.
    If this doesn't work, please let me know what fails. I'd
    much refer this to work, and it seems close.

 2. Change line 134 of src/macosx/makefile.in to read
	$(srcdir)/iff_unguess.o $(srcdir)/iff_window.o $(srcdir)/atomic.o
    and re-run 'configure ; make'.

> I am doing the build using the Makefile in src/macosx.  One more thing,
> under 10.2 I had some problems with overlapping definitions in multiple
> libraries (in Apple's and Fink).  The solution was to delete the "-l
> termcap" as well as the "-L/usr/lib" from the library options in the
> makefile.  As I have yet to get things to link successfully, I will
> send you the final modifications when I resolve the symbols (at_kedge,
> etc.) problem.

Which is the preferred version: Apple's or Fink's?  Is there
any hope of getting a binary distribution for Mac OS X or at
least clear and complete instructions for how to do a complete
installation using Fink?