[Ifeffit] (no subject)

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Fri Feb 7 15:05:15 CST 2003

Hi Matt,

I'm a little confused by the "resolution" of this Win98 issue.  It
seems as though the two Northwesterners had slightly different
experiences.

Kristine said:
 K> I made the change to the config.sys file (which changed the
 K> message from 'Out of environment space' to 'Too many parameters').
 K> I then went to look at the xxxx.bat files and saw that they
 K> weren't there.  After hitting the make bats application to
 K> generate them and then clicking on the executable (from the
 K> C:/Program Files/Ifeffit/ folder) things seem to be OK.
So it seems as though re-running the make_bats thing was sufficient,
although the "too many parameters" thing seems to indicate that there
is still a problem with the space in the folder name.

It seems that Zhan, on the other hand, needed to fix the space in the
folder name to get things to work.
 ZZ> What I did was just give the path and file name exactly as shown
 ZZ> in the DOS shell. Something like:
 ZZ>   SET IFEFFIT_DIR=C:\Progra~1\Ifeffit
 ZZ> After changing all the .bat files, they worked ok for me.
Why would one Win98 user need to do that but another not need to?
That doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility with the wonderful
Win98, but it does seem odd.

So I guess I have a couple of questions.

Kristine: Do the desktop icons work?  Or can you only run the programs
if you click on the .bat icons in the C:\Program Files\Ifeffit folder?

Zhan: I have the exact opposite question.  Was changing the path to
have the tilde rather than the space required to get the desktop icons
to work?  And do the programs run without editing if you click on the
icons in the C:\Program Files\Ifeffit folder?

Perhaps someone who is python-savvy and has access to a Win98 machine
can help out by doing some tests and figuring out what the
make_bats.py needs to be in order to work correctly on Win9x *as well
as* the later Windows systems.  There are some hints in the README.TXT
file in the build_setup folder for how make_bats and the installer
builder all work.

Regards,

P.S.
  It would be nice if everyone, and particularly digest users, when
  quoting a previous post, would edit the quote to show just the bit
  that is relevant to the conversation.  It is much easier to
  understand the flow of the conversation without dozens or hundreds
  of lines of extraneous stuff.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b, X24c, U4b
 National Synchrotron Light Source