[Ifeffit] Athena Run Time Error Solved!

Dr. Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Tue May 21 23:21:10 CDT 2002

I wrote earlier that upon trying to install athena on a colleagues
powerbook, I ran into problems with an undefined value in a call to the
perl standard routine configure.
e.g.

Tk::Error: Can't call method "configure" on an undefined value at
/sw/bin/athena line 1775, <R> line 9.

It turns out that the problem was related to an earlier windows-related
post (aka the Ravel-ware post).  Although I had "cleaned" and
reinstalled several times athena and Tk, I hadn't given a second thought
to tkatoms -- it had no relation to athena, right?  wrong!  Upon
reintalling tkatoms, athena worked.  There must be a perl module that is
installed only with tkatoms that is required by athena.  Consistent with
this is the observation that artemis worked out-of-the-box (e.g. a
simple make) without problem.  In any case all is solved.  It might be a
good idea however to investigate this issue further as I am fairly sure
that this problem will come up again (not with me though!).  In my case
(on my own machines), I installed all three programs (tkatoms, athena,
and artemis) and never ran into the problem.

										Paul