[Ifeffit] GIFeffit, Athena and Artemis Installation

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue May 21 15:28:22 CDT 2002

Hi Mark,

> Ever since the Windows version of Athena was released, I've
> been hooked.  I couldn't wait for a Windows version of
> Artemis, so after a week of pondering the best way to
> re-introduce Linux to my PC, I have installed Linux, PGPlot,
> Ifeffit, Athena and Artemis this morning.

Great!  I should mention that there are a few more GUIs on the
near horizon.

>             self.iff_dir = os.getenv('IFEFFIT_DIR)
> Attribute Error: getenv

Oops: Ifeffit is assuming python2.0 or higher.  Of course, I
always install the latest on my own machines, so I've never
noticed this.  But since even RedHat 7.3 ships with python 1.5,
this is not a good assumption. A quick fix is to change this to
              self.iff_dir = os.environ['IFEFFIT_DIR']

but then you absolutely have to make sure that the
environmental variable IFEFFIT_DIR is set (probably to
/usr/local/share/ifeffit).  gifeffit should run then.

To get the perl/Tk stuff to work correctly, try installing
Atoms-3.0.  This should install all the necessary extensions.
It is admittedly somewhat circular since atoms wants Ifeffit
installed, and Ifeffit tries to install athena, which needs all
these other perl/Tk components.

Hopefully we can get all of these things fixed for the next
version.

Hope that helps,