[Ifeffit] The road to Athena... (and Artemis too!)

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Thu Mar 7 16:00:13 CST 2002

The fact that the wrapper for python worked as it was occurred to me
after I hit the send button.  How does the loader work on BSD?  Does
it expect libraries to be in certain standard places?  Perhaps Chuck
ended up with the ifeffit library in some non-standard place and so
needs to fix that, set an environment variable (like on SGI), or fix
the loader configuration (like on linux).

Anyway, I am glad to hear that such good progress is being made.  I
wish I could contribute more to the immediate problem.  Do post the
screen messages from the build, as Matt suggested.  I mostly grok
perl's strange and numerous messages (which must say something bad
about me .... ;-)

I wanted to mention that this week I made some good progress on
Artemis (I had all of Monday at home watching a contractor poke holes
in my walls!)  There are still alot of clunky interface problems, but
Artemis will run to completion a fit with one data set using any
number of feff calculations and it will plot the results in a manner
that rsembles Athena.  That is, you can select the data, the fit,
and/or any number of paths from the list in the skinny panel on the
right and click a button for plotting in k, R, or q.  Model building
needs a lot of work, but its usable.  I would love if the Mac effort
could succeed soon -- that would somewhat increase the number of alpha
testers ;-)

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, Code 6134          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b, X24c, U4b
 National Synchrotron Light Source