[Ifeffit] lithium scattering paths

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Sat Mar 30 10:41:56 CDT 2024

Hi Yang,

That's an interesting report.  One possible explanation is that Larix / XAS
Viewer and Larch use Feff8 by default, while Artemis and (and maybe other
apps?) use Feff6 by default.  That's basically because of when these
versions of Feff were released for us to distribute.

I believe that the consensus view is (and Bruce Ravel has demonstrated this
nicely) that there is very little difference between Feff6 and Feff8 for
EXAFS, with possible exceptions for very heavy elements (say, Z>80).  For
example, self-consistent potentials are shown to be "mostly not very
important" for EXAFS results.

One common observation is that Feff8 is better at allowing hydrogen in
structures -- not so much that Metal-H scattering is important, but just
that the presence of hydrogen often messes up the calculations of the
atomic potentials in Feff6, and Feff8 seems to be noticeably better at that.

But, I am not sure whether Metal-Li has been carefully compared between
Feff6 and Feff8.  Maybe someone here has tried that?   You could try using
Feff6 from the CIF / Feff calculation page in Larix and see if there is a
difference.  I think that would be interesting to document somewhere, maybe
in a paper and/or Jupyter notebook.

--Matt

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-327-7411