[Ifeffit] Difficulty with normalization of XAS spectra

jesse walters thegeojesse at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 07:22:07 CDT 2024

Hi all,

I have some spectra collected by a collaborator, Francesco Ressico, a PhD
student at Uni Bologna,  (see attached .h5 file below) and we are having
trouble normalizing the Fe K edge spectra. The data are for serpentine
group minerals and were collected in fluorescence mode. In the attached
file, the correct X array value is 'energy_enc', the data type is 'xas',
and the y array should be 'mu_fluo_det0'. The spectra are already
normalized for the incoming beam energy (although this can also be done
using 'flou_det0/i0'). There are multiple spectra in the file, any one of
them can be chosen to test the procedure.

After loading the spectra, I am able to plot the raw spectra correctly (see
attached). But when I try to normalize the pre and post edge regions and
plot the normalized spectra, the software only gives a blank plot. I have
tried changing the normalization type, polynomial type, range, etc for both
the pre and post edge, but nothing seems to work. I also tested different
spectra, but with similar results.

Does anyone have suggestions for how these data can be normalized?

The h5 file is too large, so here is a dropbox link
https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/d8k5s67vli0mq97ac520y/COR21_79_Xastransect_79_F1_THC.h5?rlkey=33ragg4p6x9rx65t9yvi5kewe&dl=0__;!!G_uCfscf7eWS!btLKhnEiyp5gMQfSDnHdxqgt2ie5vcVHW7e142vokJ-wEX6zZSIOcAyHsf5THg9ZlyyIsx7Vfm27ycKWAQg1_cysDdnW65aCQA$

Sincerely,
Jesse Walters

--
Jesse B. Walters