[Ifeffit] P K-edge EXAFS

matthew marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Wed Sep 13 14:33:27 CDT 2023

It's not impossible, but difficult for a couple of reasons:
1.	Not too many beamlines can do it.  It's hard for soft X-ray beamlines
and soft for hard X-ray beamlines.  Air absorption is significant.  If a
Si DCM is used, the Bragg angle has to be higher than many
monochromators can reach.

2.	The spectrum typically features a tall white line, which is very
subject to overabsorption in concentrated samples.  The small absorption
depths make it hard to do transmission without running into
thickness/hole effects.  Harmonic contamination can be an issue.

3.	If you work in fluorescence, you have the low fluorescence yield to
contend with, as well as absorption in a detector window of typical
thickness.  The energy resolution of a typical SDD is insufficient to
cleanly separate the fluorescence from elastic.

That's not to say that it can't be done.  It has.  It's just a bit more
difficult than, for instance, Fe.

As to substituting As for P, that seems dangerous.  For one thing, the
atoms are different sizes.  You may recall that sometime back there was
a flap over some bacteria that supposedly had been transitioned from
using P to using As for life functions.  This turned out to be bogus.  I
gather that ATAs doesn't work the same as ATP, for instance.  It's not
an isomorphous replacement.
	mam