[Ifeffit] Not possible to install larch on actual system and Mac M1 system

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed May 17 08:41:37 CDT 2023

Hi Stefan,

OK, glad to hear you got it working, and thanks for the explanation.

It is definitely not the intention that the Xcode developer tools need to
be installed.  I do have those installed, but still `fabio` did install
from a "whl" (packaged binary), not a "tar.gz" (a source code kit) for me.

I think this is probably not related to ARM/M1 v Intel.  I think it is just
whether the binary was expected to be built on the target machine or not.

Anyway, thanks  - that might help someone else who gets stuck too.
Cheers,

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-327-7411