[Ifeffit] Save the date: XAFS short course at BNL and EXAFS-50 symposium

Anatoly Frenkel anatoly.frenkel at stonybrook.edu
Fri Mar 31 16:36:13 CDT 2023

Dear subscribers,

Please save the date for the two back-to-back, *in-person*, events:
EXAFS-50 symposium (Oct. 30-31) and annual EXAFS short course (Nov. 1-3,
2023), both to be run at Brookhaven National Laboratory. While the usual
format of our short courses is Wednesday through Friday, this year we will
mark the 50th anniversary of discovery of EXAFS by organizing a two-day
symposium on Monday-Tuesday to celebrate it. The short course participants
will benefit from attending the symposium as well because they will be able
to learn from, and interact with, leading experts in the field, credited
for developing the foundations of the EXAFS experiments, theory, data
analysis and modeling. Brookhaven shares with other synchrotron facilities
good memories of developing new techniques and applications of EXAFS, and
other labs, as well as the International X-ray Absorption Society (IXAS),
are planning their own efforts to commemorate the 50th anniversary in the
coming years.

Regarding the short course: following up on the feedback we received after
the 2022 course, we are planning to teach advanced topics in 2023. They
will include but not limited to: Reverse Monte Carlo EXAFS, Molecular
Dynamics EXAFS, Machine Learning EXAFS, MCR-ALS and others. More
information will soon appear on the web site of the Synchrotron Catalysis
Consortium that co-sponsors the short course. The other sponsors are
National Laboratory and the Users Executive Committee at the National
Synchrotron Light Source-II (to be confirmed).

We are grateful to BNL and Stony Brook University, as well as NSLS-II UEC
(to be confirmed) for the support of the EXAFS-50 symposium that will
enable participants to attend it registration fee-free.

Stay tuned for further updates.
Anatoly
Anatoly I. Frenkel
Professor
Department of Materials Science and Chemical Engineering (primary
appointment)
Department of Chemistry (affiliate appointment)
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794
Email:  anatoly.frenkel at stonybrook.edu
<https://mail.bnl.gov/OWA/redir.aspx?C=F6wCGt4adziN6IvpdRQ-rWdgy3Oaoif_x-0ybKTBGBlALcrWeszTCA..&URL=mailto%3ajgchen%40columbia.edu>
http://you.stonybrook.edu/frenkel
Co-Director and Spokesperson, Synchrotron Catalysis Consortium (SCC) at BNL
http://you.stonybrook.edu/scc2

Joint Appointment:
Senior Chemist
Chemistry Division, Brookhaven National Laboratory
Upton, NY 11973. Ph: 631-344-3013. Group: 631-344-3494
Email: frenkel at bnl.gov
https://www.bnl.gov/staff/frenkel