[Ifeffit] Brain teaser

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 15 10:25:45 CDT 2023

Hi Anatoly,

I think Robert or Matthew made this point, but if set up for Pd, the mirror
angle may have been chosen to reject ~70 keV, but possibly not 36 keV --
the harmonic at the Au edge.  Do you know what the mirror angle was?

The Ar-filled I0 would be very efficient at absorbing 12 keV, and only
pretty efficient at absorbing 36 keV.   That would leave a more
harmonic-rich beam exiting I0 and hitting the sample than entering I0.  The
good news is that the dense Pd/Au sample would be efficient at absorbing 36
keV too (but it was ~1 absorption length at 24 keV?) too.

Mono reflectivity of 36 keV vs 12 keV might also factor in.  If you were
not deliberately detuning but the crystals were slightly misaligned,  the
harmonic content may change significantly over the scan range.   I would
not guess that to dominate, but maybe it factors in.