[Ifeffit] [Ext] Brain teaser

Jeffrey Terry terryj at iit.edu
Thu Jun 15 00:17:35 CDT 2023

Well, I’ll take a shot. Looks like the mirror angle is totally fubared, you are getting Bragg peaks from the coating or substrate that are giving you the peaks in Io. Since you have no idea what angle those are going through Io, they are unlikely to make it into either the sample or It. Since those photons are removed from the beam hitting the sample, they would show up as intensity dips in It. I’d bet that most (all?) of the reflected beam is not going into the sample. I’m kind of surprised It signal is as clean as it is, but then I don’t know the gains on either measurement amplifiers. I couldn’t find a flat mirror angle that would cause the cutoff at 12870? eV but since it is a collimating mirror who knows what range of angles were actually being hit.

Jeff Terry
Interim Chair, Department of Biology
Interim Chair, Department of Social Sciences
Professor of Physics
Professor of Mechanical, Materials, and Aerospace Engineering
Editor, Applied Surface Science
Illinois Institute of Technology
3101 S. Dearborn St.
Chicago IL 60616