[Ifeffit] python accesses outlook PST files during X-ray larch binary installation on Windows 10 computer

Voegelin, Andreas Andreas.Voegelin at eawag.ch
Mon Jun 5 09:25:11 CDT 2023

Dear All

I apologize for this question related to IT safety rather than science and the use of Larch.

Today, I installed Larch for Windows on an institute computer using the latest Windows 64-bit binary installer (0.9.68).  Now I got the following alert from our IT security:
“The process c:\users\%USER%\appdata\local\xraylarch\python.exe accessed Outlook files.  The user who ran the process was  XXXX.  The accessed files were: XXXX.pst, YYYY.pst”.

It seems that during the installation of Larch, python.exe accessed some outlook archive files in another folder on the C drive, and I do not know if this should be a matter of concern.
Has anyone experienced a similar behavior before, or does anyone with Larch/python skills have an explanation for this?

Cheers, Andreas