[Ifeffit] customized dead-time correction in Larch

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 28 09:02:26 CDT 2023

Hi Esmael,

Without knowing the details of your dead-time correction, I would say
"maybe".  I think we could almost certainly add the code to do the
correction to the library.  How dead-time corrections get added to the GUI
might be a bit more work, but certainly possible.

Doing dead-time correction for a data file from an unknown
source/beamline/detector is sort of tricky.   There are many ways to
encode dead time (you might save ICR, OCR, LiveTime, DeadTime), and there
is no universal standard.  Some detection systems can have a two-stage
correction.  Even an easy-ish case might be:

 fluor_dtcorr = FeKa_MCA1*ICR1/OCR1 +  FeKa_MCA2*ICR2/OCR2 +  ... +
FeKa_MCA32*ICR32/OCR32

which is actually sort of painful to do programmatically.

This makes working with data needing dead-time correction challenging, as
some knowledge is needed about how to do that correction -- this makes
archiving data challenging too.  I would like to advocate for beamlines to
save a "dead-time correction factor" -- a simple multiplicative factor per
detector channel, or even better to save "dead-time correction total
fluorescence", especially for archiving data but even to make it useful in
analysis programs.

That is, I think it is ok for us to add some tools to help do dead-time
corrections but it would actually be better for everyone to have such
corrections done at or by the beamline.

That's probably not your actual question but may be slightly related. ;).
 I would say we could certainly try to add any functionality for doing
deadtime corrections.

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-327-7411