[Ifeffit] found some issues found in larch (read-in issues)

Mauro ROVEZZI mauro.rovezzi at esrf.fr
Wed Oct 26 06:19:24 CDT 2022

Dear Stefan,

Thanks for reporting these issues. Some of them are already known to us,
but require time for fixing and implementing new features.

I take the occasion to say that anybody with Python programming skills
is welcome to contribute and help with the development of Larch. Having
a community of developers instead of always asking to one single person
should be strongly considered.

Going back to your specific questions, here my two cents contribution.

On 26/10/2022 11:46, Mangold, Stefan (IPS) wrote:
> Dear All, dear Matt,
>
> all tests were done on Macs (one M1 & one Intel) with the latest version your software & latest OS.
>
> 1. Read-In of spec files works, but only one file at once. Even if multiple files are selected
 >
> 2. If one tries to load text-files it is possible to load data form multiple files as long as you don’t try to load also the reference spectra. If you load the reference  also the read-in stopps at the transmission/fluorescence spectrum of the second file selected.

These are related to:

https://github.com/xraypy/xraylarch/issues/367

Furthermore, with respect to an ASCII file, a Spec file may contain
multiple scans, so it is impossible to know in advance which scan to
select if one selects multiple Spec files to load.

To my opinion, when you need to read multiple data from many files, the
simplest approach is to write a small python script (or Jupyter
notebook) that reads the data and save them in an Athena project file or
Larch session that you can then easily read back with xas_viewer.

I can further help with that.

> 3. Trouble, that I sometimes can’t unmount network volumes after reading from them, larch saved on local discs. MacOS claims that python has files open; no other python program running

I let Matt or somebody else reply on this point.

> 4. unable to save the data of one XAS-viewer while having two xas-viewer open.

This is related to:

https://github.com/xraypy/xraylarch/issues/410

Best,
Mauro