[Ifeffit] Installing Larch without installing Anaconda

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 30 12:45:42 CST 2022

Hi Laurent,

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 9:05 AM TRANCHANT Laurent <
laurent.tranchant at synchrotron-soleil.fr> wrote:

> Dear Mr or Mrs,
>
> I am Laurent Tranchant, post-doctoral researcher working at the IPANEMA
> laboratory at the SOLEIL synchrotron in France.
> I would like to install Larch (especially to use XAS Viewer to treat my
> XAS data) without installing Anaconda on MacOS. Do you know if it is
> possible or not ? For example by using MacPorts instead of Anaconda...
> It seems that all the solutions proposed online to install Larch on MacOS
> require the installation of Anaconda Python environment.

Yes, as Carlo says, I think it should be possible to install Larch on MacOS
with Python from Python.org and probably from MacPorts too.

The main requirements are "the normal scientific python stack" which should
be available with essentially every distribution.   To get the GUIs,
wxPython is required.  PyPI has this for MacOS (and Windows), so that it
should work.

I think I have not tried Larch with MacPorts or "Python.org Python" on
MacOS for a few years.  But if you are interested, I would say to go ahead
and try, maybe even start by trying `pip install xraylarch`.  If you're
interested in using the GUIs, do `pip install wxmplot` (to be clear,
wxPython is not a requirement for using Larch as a library, but is needed
for the GUIs).  Let me know how it goes or if you run into any problems or
have any questions.