[Ifeffit] [Ext] Re: structure for reference Mn foil

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Sun May 15 17:13:32 CDT 2022

Hi Yang,

The Mn standard reference "foil" is not good for S02 calculation.  You are
better off using a Mn sample that has the same kind of local environment as
your unknown materials.  If you have oxides, then get a good Mn-oxide
reference material and use that.

Carlo

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 6:34 AM Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Yang,
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 1:29 PM Hu, Yang (HIU) <yang.hu at kit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Dear IFEFFIT members,
>>

>> I have been trying to obtain the S02 value from metal reference foils
>> measured at the beamline.
>>

> How was your sample Mn metal prepared?   Do you have verification that it
> is metallic?
>
> When you say "from metal reference foils measured at the beamline.", I
> wonder if that might be the same kind of
> "reference foil set" in the wooden jewelry box that we have at our
> beamline.  Most of these are very good, while some (Pb) degrade over time.
> Ours has one labeled "Mn" which is obviously a black powder, probably
> sintered.  I've never tried to analyze that as BCC Mn and assumed it was
> stable-ish, but not metallic.   But maybe someone else has tried that.
>
> --Matt

Carlo U. Segre (he/him) -- Duchossois Leadership Professor of Physics
Professor of Materials Science & Engineering
Director, Center for Synchrotron Radiation Research and Instrumentation
Illinois Institute of Technology
Voice: 312.567.3498            Fax: 312.567.3494
segre at iit.edu   http://phys.iit.edu/~segre   segre at debian.org