[Ifeffit] structure for reference Mn foil

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Sat May 14 06:33:46 CDT 2022

Hi Yang,

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 1:29 PM Hu, Yang (HIU) <yang.hu at kit.edu> wrote:

> Dear IFEFFIT members,
>

> I have been trying to obtain the S02 value from metal reference foils
> measured at the beamline.

How was your sample Mn metal prepared?   Do you have verification that it
is metallic?

When you say "from metal reference foils measured at the beamline.", I
wonder if that might be the same kind of
"reference foil set" in the wooden jewelry box that we have at our
beamline.  Most of these are very good, while some (Pb) degrade over time.
Ours has one labeled "Mn" which is obviously a black powder, probably
sintered.  I've never tried to analyze that as BCC Mn and assumed it was
stable-ish, but not metallic.   But maybe someone else has tried that.