[Ifeffit] Larch 0.9.58

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Sun Jan 16 17:47:11 CST 2022

Hi Folks,

Larch version 0.9.58 has been released.  It should now be installed by
default using all installation mechanisms, and you may see a notice to
update if running xas_viewer.

Coming only 6 weeks after 0.9.57, and with the holidays in between, this is
mostly a set of bug fixes, especially surrounding installation and errors
associated with our use of deprecated features of silx and numpy.    Thanks
mostly to Mauro for this, and for updating the documentation for
installation, especially for existing Anaconda Python users, and on Linux.

FWIW, I checked that a fresh install works on Windows 10, MacOS 12, CentOS
7, CentOS 8 Stream, and that "auto-updates" work with "larch -u" or from
XAS Viewer works on MacOS 12 and on Fedora 34.  But, of course, let us know
if you have suggestions, comments, or problems.

There are a few fixes for reading some kinds of data files and with
de-glitching XAS spectra.  The plans discussed in the previous release
message (see
https://millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov/pipermail/ifeffit/2021-December/010345.html)
about saving more complex projects and how to think "reference spectra"
have not had much work done on them.  The request for suggestions and
comments on these topics still stands.