[Ifeffit] Artemis warning after FEFF calculation---can't close GLOB filehandle

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 9 22:59:17 CST 2022

Hi,

I suspect that the calculation would work much better if you removed the H
atoms. When trying to use this CIF file in Larch, I noticed 3 challenges:

a) the label of
       _chemical_formula_moiety         ' C8 H8 F6 N4 Ni Si, 2(O) '

doesn't parse correctly in Larch.  Apparently, it does in Artemis.  I
changed it to  ' C8 H8 F6 N4 Ni Si O2 '.

b) the hydrogen atoms cause overlap problems.  I removed these from the
`atoms` loop.  This is not an uncommon problem.

c) the unit cell is large enough that one could run into a problem of not
having an atom of the same species as the central atom
(I guess Ni is what you're looking at).   Artemis might not require this,
but I found that the cluster had to be at least 7.02 Ang to
make sure that a Ni scatterer was in the cluster.

Hope this helps,