[Ifeffit] [Ext] Re: Plotting chi(R) from FEFF in XAS Viewer (Larch) with phase correction

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Tue Dec 13 17:59:00 CST 2022

Hi Liam:

I agree with Matt.  I don't find phase corrected plots to be very useful.
Rather, I try to just identify peak positions without trying to interpret
what the half-path length might be.  I leave that for the results of the
fitting.  As a secondary, but perhaps more important point, applying the
phase correction in a plot of the Fourier Transform is only an approximate
calculation because the correct phase shift depends on the identity of the
scattering atom and you don't really know that until you have a path model
in the fitting routines.  Once the fitting is done, then you could in
principle phase correct both the data and fit but why bother?

Carlo