[Ifeffit] Artemis: Importing VPaths Crash Error

Ryan Parmenter R.Parmenter at outlook.com
Sat Dec 3 05:27:13 CST 2022

Hello,

I'm having an issue with opening a data file in Artemis.

As usual, I started by importing an Athena data file and a CIF. The paths were calculated and plotted (all worked ok). Then, I opened a second Athena data file and attempted to copy over the paths to check the fit; however, transferring the path parameters from the first data set to the second crashed the programme and will no longer open that data file. I have replicated the problem by using a new data file with fewer paths. Again, when exporting the path parameters to a second data set causes the file to crash and no longer open.

I have tried both versions, 0.9.26 and 0.9.25, on two different laptops - one with windows 10 and the other with Windows 11. The same issue occurs. Opening the .fpj file directly from the desktop opens Artemis, but it soon crashes and closes; however, opening Artemis and loading the file causes Artemis to get stuck on 'importing VPaths'. (see image). I have left this open for a couple of hours, and its remains on importing v paths.

Checking the dartemis file log, it states:

Can't call method "parent" without a package or object reference at C:/Users/rap/AppData/Roaming/DemeterPerl/perl/site/lib/Demeter/Fit.pm line 1717.
'-q' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
%PGPLOT, Unable to read font file: grfont.dat
%PGPLOT, Use environment variable PGPLOT_FONT to specify the location of the PGPLOT grfont.dat file.

I had a look in visual studio to look at line 1716 - 1719 in fit.pm This is:

my $path = $this -> mo -> fetch(['Path','SSPath'], $pg);
            $path->parent(Demeter->mo->fetch("Feff", $path->parentgroup)) if not $path->parent;
            ##print $path->name, "|", $path->group, "|", $path->parent, $/;
            $this->push_paths($path);

I could not debug due to being a newbie with visual studio and unable to debug without the 'Perl' language installed. I have tried to install this language, but that's a separate issue.

Thanks,
Ryan