[Ifeffit] IFEFFIT file saving issue

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 7 21:09:41 CDT 2021

Shinhyo -

"Desktop" is almost certainly a folder under your user folder something
like "C:\Users\<YOURNAME>\Desktop" (unless you really went out of your way
to set something else up).  If your user name has non-ASCII characters,
that will not work.  Many people with laptops running Windows purchased
outside of the US and/or with non-ASCII characters (including Latin-1
characters that would be described as "accent characters" to folks in the
US) have seen this sort of problem.  It's a pretty common problem,
actually.
Also, just to be clear, it's not so much that people like Bruce and I are
unaware of the fact that many people's names include such characters, it's
that the software tools from even "only" 20 years ago really did not have
consistent support for characters that are not ASCII.

If you can save a file to a USB drive, you can probably save it to the
top-level "C:\" folder or any folder that contains only ASCII characters.

--Matt