[Ifeffit] S02 selection from reviewer

Anatoly Frenkel anatoly.frenkel at stonybrook.edu
Sat Oct 2 10:46:40 CDT 2021

I think that the variability of S02 between different samples, detection
methods etc. may or may not be a big concern for you if 1) the error bars
in the CNs (that you are not reporting) are larger than the difference in
their mean values (that you are reporting), and/or 2) larger than the
difference between their mean values and the CN=6 that the reviewer is
asking about. If yes to either 1) or 2), then the variability in the S02
values for differently prepared samples may cause smaller variation in your
best fit values of CN than the error bars reported by your fitting program,
and your choice of fixing your S02 to be constant (0.85) may be justified.
You need to have a really bad non-uniformity or concentration problem so
that your effective S02 changed from the expected 0.85 (assuming it is what
a correctly performed measurement would give) to, say, 0.5 or 0.6 is my
thought.

Anatoly