[Ifeffit] S02 selection from reviewer

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Sat Oct 2 09:03:46 CDT 2021

Since S02 is a parameter in the description of EXAFS and not of the
experiment, it's independent of technique.  Overabsorption (misnamed
'self-absorption') can reduce the *measured* amplitude, an effect which
can be fudged in analysis by reducing S02.  If the sample is truly
homogeneous (on the scale of the absorption length), then you can
calculate the amount of overabsorption to see if it's significant.
However, many kinds of samples, such as concentrated powders mixed with
a diluent such as BN, this condition is not met.  If the particles are
large enough for each to have significant absorption edge jumps, then
diluting them in BN doesn't fix the problem.
	mam