[Ifeffit] MacPorts XAFS software: announcing a Port for Larch; and do we actually need Demeter on Macs?

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 12 07:40:34 CST 2021

Hi Joseph,

First, thanks very much for doing this.  I know that it is a lot of work,
and you really only hear when it doesn't work perfectly.  So, thanks!

Second, please keep working on those TES detectors!  We need those too!

On Demeter:  I sort of think the reality is that it is just too difficult
to maintain Demeter running natively on MacOS.  If MacPorts can't do it, it
probably cannot be done.  Larch XAS Viewer might be a viable alternative
(at this point, I would say calling anything that  XAS Viewer does not do
that Demeter does is probably a bug or missing feature in XAS Viewer, or at
least fair to discuss in those terms), or running Demeter on Windows
(either a different machine or in a virtualization tool like Parallels) is
a reasonable expectation.

So, I would probably lean toward your option #1: declare these ports dead.
I doubt that #2 (wait for Perl....) is likely to be any better over the
next couple of years compared to the past couple of years.

Again, thanks,

--Matthew Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-327-7411