[Ifeffit] how to learn wavelet analysis

Xinyu Luo xinyuluo at zju.edu.cn
Wed Nov 10 23:03:57 CST 2021

Hello Robert,

Thank you, that helps a lot!

Xinyu

-----原始邮件-----
发件人:"Robert Gordon" <ragordon at alumni.sfu.ca>
发送时间:2021-11-11 11:06:11 (星期四)
收件人: ifeffit at millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov
抄送:
主题: Re: [Ifeffit] how to learn wavelet analysis

Try starting here:
https://www.esrf.fr/UsersAndScience/Experiments/CRG/BM20/Software/Wavelets

On 2021-11-10 6:48 p.m., 罗昕宇 wrote:

Dear IFEFFIT members,

I'm a fresh graduate student majoring in chemical engineering. I began to learn XAFS by myself one month ago. I bought and read the book XAFS for Everyone written by Dr. Calvin. I think I have got a clear image of how EXAFS works. Recently, I am attracted by the technique called Wavelet Analysis from literatures. It seems pretty powerful to correlate both temporal and frequency information, but something just went probably beyond my current knowledge base. I understand that a changeable window should be adapted to a make a trade-off between time and frequency, but I don't understand the logic that good time-resolution in high frequency is preferred while in low frequency a good frequency-resolution is better. I would appreciate it very much if you could answer my half-baked question and offer me with some learning material.

Best regards

Xinyu