[Ifeffit] Analyzing EXAFS data on Artemis

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu May 27 21:19:02 CDT 2021

Hi Alex,

I agree with everything Carlo and Matthew said.

As you say, Li is very light and so the scattering should be weak compared
to Fe.  It will also die out much more quickly with "k" than the Fe (or Se)
scattering will.  So, if you have enough k-range, simply starting your fit
at higher k than normal (perhaps 4 or 5 Ang^-1) or increasing the k-weight
used in the Fourier transform (perhaps to 3 or 4) would de-emphasize the
Se-Li scattering to a level that it was safe(r) to ignore.

FWIW, I would imagine that trying to fit coordination number or sigma^2 for
Se-Li at percent-level concentrations would not work very well. If you did
indeed get values that were clearly telling you that there was definitely
Se-Li scattering contributing, I would wonder if there was something else
going on (say, from another ligand, some multiple scattering, or some other
phase).

The formula for the Einstein temperature is a scale factor times
"coth(theta/(2t)) / (r_mass * theta)"  where t is the temperature, theta
the Einstein temperature, and r_mass the reduced mass of the atoms in the
path.   See

https://github.com/xraypy/xraylarch/blob/726136d0184d9a006546002722b7573f6c675357/larch/xafs/sigma2_models.py#L19

for details.  This will not include S0^2 -- they are conceptually totally
different.

As Carlo said, the sigma^2 in the EXAFS equation does not distinguish
between static and thermal disorder.  But if you have temperature-dependent
data, modeling the sigma2 values as a static offset + a term that depended
on temperature with an Einstein model would be a fine way to go.

Hope that helps!

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-327-7411