[Ifeffit] Not possible to install Larch MacOS X 10.12.6 via anaconda (see report)

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Sat Mar 13 09:35:24 CST 2021

Hi Stefan, Morgane, All,

Yeah, sorry for the trouble with this.   I should admit I've had increasing
struggles over the past year or two with maintaining packages for Anaconda
Python, running into many painful claims of incompatible packages.    Most
of the "core scientific python packages" are well-maintained by
Anaconda.com -- it's hard to complain about this free distribution and all
of the work that goes into it.   But the "non-Anaconda-provided" packages
make Larch more complicated, and the xraylarch "conda" package is
out-of-date.

The semi-good news on this front is that almost everything, including
Larch, is actually available from the PyPI packaging system and can be
installed with "pip".  Anaconda and its "conda" package-manager will
regularly say to not mix "conda" and "pip", but this mostly applies to
cases where C code is going to be compiled on installation, which we don't
do.

What I'm now doing for building the binary distributions, and what I
recommend for updating is:
   1. install a basic Anaconda distribution - this can be from the Larch
binary installers.
   2. install or update the Larch code with  "pip install --upgrade
xraylarch".

I should probably take another look at adding xraylarch to the
large-and-diverse "conda_forge" channel for the "conda" system.

Hope that helps, and suggestions on how to handle this better would be most
welcome,

--Matt

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-327-7411