[Ifeffit] Normalization of LCF coefficients when fitting experimental spectra with theoretical spectra

Mangold, Stefan (IPS) stefan.mangold at kit.edu
Thu Mar 11 01:01:23 CST 2021

Dear Patricia,

Linear combination fits are a nice tool, but one should handle them with great care

- the background subtraction process can introduce significant errors. You have to fine tune the parameters by hand if you are using Athena to get reasonable results

- sometimes PCA (principle component analysis) helps to find a reasonable number of components

- Athena only shows the fitting errors: please keep in mind, that the error of the complete measurement and data evaluation process is much larger. It makes sense to test the process with known mixtures.

- the variation of the of the sum of all components between 98 and 105 % (even with choosing -> sum coefficients to 1) is a problem somewhere inside of Athena. I think only Bruce Ravel can help you there.

best regards

Stefan