[Ifeffit] Normalization of LCF coefficients when fitting experimental spectra with theoretical spectra

Mike Massey mmassey at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 11:42:34 CST 2021

Hi Patricia,

When you say "worse than the initial one," what do you mean?

If it's a "worse" match than nonsensical fit results, but makes some physical and chemical sense, I'd personally argue it's a much better fit ;)

What you are doing seems reasonable to me, but I would further recommend keeping your fit component selection as simple as possible.

I'm a big proponent of two-component fits, maybe three if there's a really good reason. I feel like a lot of people do multicomponent (3-4 fitting spectra, maybe even more) LCF with the argument that the inclusion of additional components improves the fit statistics...But to me that gives a false sense of certainty that the technique doesn't really allow (at least for the systems I work with).

For reporting qualitative trends, it seems like you're on the right track. Perhaps unless it's a qualitative trend of a minor component that might not even be there at all and you're basing your entire argument on it definitely being there, which uhh. Seems to happen a lot.

Cheers,

Mike