[Ifeffit] [Ext] Re: Any coorelation about 'white line" in K-edge XAS with oxidation states?

Qingying Jia qjia at hawk.iit.edu
Wed Dec 15 08:38:39 CST 2021

Interpretation of the K-edge XANES spectrum of 3d metal is not easy. The
forbidden s-d transition contributes only a small part of the XANES spectra
(normally the "pre-edge" peak). A rather comprehensive explanation of
several features of the Fe K-edge XANES spectra can be found in a paper ( *ACS
Nano* 2015, 9, 12, 12496–12505, Figure 2 and discussions). Ni should be
similar. The "white line intensity" of 3d metals is affected by many
factors including oxidation state but actually not that strongly. O
coordination number and especially source (O, OH, H2O) also matter.
Regarding the in-temperature XAS, you may refer to our recent publication (*J.
Am. Chem. Soc.* 2020, 142, 3, 1417–1423) that gives a good example showing
how FeOx transforms to metallic Fe or Fe-Nx with increasing temperature,
providing temperature-dependent both XANES and FT-EXAFS spectra.

  Jia