[Ifeffit] Manuscript comments regarding EXAFS modeling

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Sun Aug 29 20:46:19 CDT 2021

Hi Peng,

This will echo much of what Matthew Marcus wrote:

For comment 1 on S02, picking a value of 0.85 seems reasonable. I think the
reviewer is asking you to explain how you got that value.  Saying something
like "we chose that value so that the data from a simple metal foil (or
simple metal oxide, etc) gave the expected first shell coordination number"
should be enough.   Typically, S02 is determined once for a given set of
data with the same beamline conditions and *not* varying from sample to
sample.

For comment 2 on correlation, I would emphasize that N and sigma2 are
well-known to be correlated and that this correlation cannot be
eliminated.  The correlation is "managed" as all correlations are managed -
by a statistical analysis of that correlation.  The uncertainties reported
for all fitting variables always take those correlations into account.
That is just a normal part of the analysis.

There is a common misconception that using multiple k-weights "eliminates"
correlations between variables.  It does not.  It is available in
ifeffit/artemis/larch to try to help find more robust solutions.  In my
experience,  simultaneously using k-weights of 1, 2, and 3 does not
actually givr very results compared to using a k-weight of 2 or 3 alone,
though I'm willing to believe that there are cases where it can help find a
solution for a fit with both low-Z and high-Z scatterers.  That is, using
multiple k-weights is a fine thing to do but it does not lower correlations
between N and sigma2 (or E0 and R) by very much.

Cheers,