[Ifeffit] Problem Importing CIF files into Larch

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 16 16:45:20 CDT 2021

Hi Vincent,

Yeah - we are using pymatgen to do the actual CIF parsing, and I think that
part is working fine.  Well, except that it isn't great at identifying
equivalent positions and so tends to give at least 2x more sites than
actually necessary.  In itself, that isn't a huge problem.

The problem that Amol (and, I'm guessing you saw too) was that structures
generated by pymatgen or CrystalMaker, etc won't have some of the fields
currently expected. I started with a restricted set from the AmMin
Database, and was focused on searching through these, so just assumed that
each structure would have a publication -- that is also true for structures
from COD, but won't be true for structures from CrystalMaker or ShelXL.
And right now, the CIF Browser wants to take any CIF you read in and add it
to the database (so you'll have it next time).   But, it should not assume
the CIF file will have all that information....

That's all to say that I think this is fixable....

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-327-7411