[Ifeffit] Core-hole Lifetimes in Hephaestus 0.9.26

Daniel Przyrembel daniel.przyrembel at fu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 28 14:14:23 CDT 2020

Hi Matt,

Well, independent of what Krause et al. have done, the correct uncertainty
relation between core-hole widths as FWHM (full width at half maximum) and
the lifetime is

lifetime = h_bar / FWHM

from the corresponding half-width (HWHM) expression

HWHM x lifetime >= h_bar / 2

Again, I just stumbled upon this when using Hephaestus, and the lifetimes
were all oddly "long".
The above relations are often garbled up due a HWHM-FWHM mix-up (the HWHM
being the "spread" of the Cauchy/Lorentz/Breit-Wigner distribution towards
higher and lower energy around the center etc.) as well, giving factor of
two errors...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look into this!

Cheers,

Daniel