[Ifeffit] Reported W L3-edge and L2-edge energy

Mike Massey mmassey at gmail.com
Tue May 5 22:55:36 CDT 2020

On a tangentially related topic, I find that phosphorus K-edge XAS energy calibration conventions are still in a bit of a "Wild West" state, with a wide variety of materials and values in use for energy calibration. As an extreme example, one or two frequently cited papers in my field from the 2000s don't even report the material or value used for energy calibration, and only show portions of the spectra on an energy axis with values relative to an unknown E0.

I too have picked my own material and value, and will be the first to acknowledge that I did so out of necessity and ease of comparison to other available data, rather than because I thought it was correct.

The issue of calibration conventions and values definitely seems to be one that merits continued discussion. It has been interesting to watch things evolve over time in the case of iron, for example (it's good to know that 7110.75 is a candidate calibration value...) I appreciate Matt's detailed thoughts, and the data that he's been working with. Thanks Matt!

Cheers,

Mike