[Ifeffit] smoothing XAS data

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Wed Jan 22 23:54:16 CST 2020

I agree with all of the comments.  If I take data using step scans, then I
never smooth.  However, in continuous scan mode where the data is
oversampled, a boxcar average in the EXAFS region is OK.  The alternative
is that the fitting software interpolates using an algorithm which
effectively averages over the delta k = 0.05 bin.  By using a boxcar
average the statistics of the measurement are all included.  This is not
really smoothing though.

Carlo