[Ifeffit] XAFS detection limit

Christian Wittee Lopes chriswittee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 20:39:13 CST 2020

Dear all,

Recently I was questioned about the EXAFS detection limit when describing
different metal species in a bimetallic sample.

By checking Pd and Cu K-edges, for example, I found Pd metal nanoparticles
and CuO clusters, respectively. But additional techniques tell me I can
have copper atoms in intimate contact with the Pd nanoparticles. What would
be the minimum amount of these "single atoms" needed to be detected by
EXAFS? is there a detection limit or it depends on several parameters?

Thanks!!!

--
*Christian Wittee Lopes*

*Postdoctoral Researcher*
Institute of Physics, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS)
Phone: +55 54 992430264