[Ifeffit] Mac problems

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 4 12:23:07 CDT 2019

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 2:10 PM Enrico Tusini <enrico.tusini at icloud.com>
wrote:

> Hey there, I have this problem with the installation of Athena package on
> Mac Mojave :
>
> Failed to build pgplot: command execution failed
> Error: See
> /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_graphics_pgplot/pgplot/main.log
> for details.
> Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
> Error: Processing of port demeter failed
>
> I’ll be very thankful for any suggestion.

Hm, yes I also see this with a fresh MacPorts install on OS 10.14.6
("Somewhere in California").   The log file shows that pgplot is failing to
build as it cannot link to some system library.  I have not investigated
further than that.  Because of this failure to build pgplot, ifeffit cannot
be installed.  And because of that, Demeter cannot be installed.

It is all sort of unfortunate because ifeffit does not exactly require
pgplot, and Demeter would not use that plotting library anyway.

I don't maintain any of the MacPorts recipes. Just to be clear, the last
release of PGPLOT was in February 2001.  Support and updates for ifeffit
ended about five years ago. Now, it is all free software so anyone else
interested is welcome to use it for as long as you like.  But bugs won't be
fixed by the original developers and someone else will have to maintain
it.... until they don't.    Maybe someone will fix this eventually.

There have been a really large number of the questions here in the past
year have been about getting Demeter working on macOS.  I think we are
going to have to face up to the fact that Demeter is not supported on
macOS, and that if you want to use Demeter on a machine running macOS,
you'll have to use a virtual machine like Parallels.