[Ifeffit] Trouble with energy spacing in .nor files Athena

Berryman, Eleanor (NRCAN/RNCAN) eleanor.berryman at canada.ca
Fri Nov 22 11:22:48 CST 2019

I have run into a problem with Athena binning the energies of my imported spectra without being told to. This problem is best explained by example:
I am processing XANES data collected around the Cr edge (5989 eV). I load a datafile that has data collected in 5 eV steps from 5789.2 to 5969.2 eV; in 0.5 eV steps from 5969.2 to 6019.2 eV; in 1 eV steps from 6019.2 to 6139.2 eV.

In the 'Import Data' popup window (Athena: column selection), the preview of the raw data shows the current energy resolution. The raw data is processed in Athena using column 1 as Energy, column 10 as Numerator, and column 4 as denominator. 'Perform rebinning' is unselected.  I save the processed data as norm(E) to produce the attached result, which has data in the following steps: 5 eV steps from 5789.2 to 5969.2 eV; 1 or 1.5 eV steps from 5970.2 to 6018.7; 1 or 2 eV steps from 6020.2 eV to 6138.2 eV.

I have used the rebinning feature during import to circumvent this problem. When I rebin, the saved .nor file obeys the rebinned energy spacing. I need to find a better solution than this. I need to find a way for Athena to obey the energy spacing of the imported dataset.

Details on my version of Athena:
Demeter 0.9.26
Downloaded last week and today.
Installation run as user and as administrator. The problem persists even after reinstallation.

System details:  64-bit Windows 10 Operating System

Thanks in advance for any direction in finding a solution to this problem.

Eleanor Berryman, PhD
Mineralogist & Geochemist, CanmetMINING
Land & Minerals / Natural Resources Canada / Government of Canada
eleanor.berryman at canada.ca<mailto:eleanor.berryman at canada.ca> / Tel : 613-995-4479

Minéralogiste & Géochimiste, CanmetMINES
Secteur des terres et des minéraux / Ressources naturelles Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
eleanor.berryman at canada.ca<mailto:eleanor.berryman at canada.ca> / Tél : 613-995-4479