[Ifeffit] Larch 0.9.43

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu May 2 12:08:09 CDT 2019

Hi Garret,

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 8:33 AM Garret Bland <gbland at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
> I just want everyone to know that for Windows, I tried to update larch to
> 0.9.43 from my existing Anaconda environment, but wasn't able to because of
> the Python version (3.6.8).

Ah, OK.  I  saw that "update" did not work from an older version using
Python 2.7 too.   I guess it will not update python versions, though I am
not sure of that....  Hopefully the ability to do a conda update will be
useful until we switch to Python 3.8, which is probably at least a year
away.

We did notice yesterday that - at least on Windows - the Warning that
things may not work correctly if there is a space in the installation path
is a correct warning.  Some of the things that we saw not work correctly
include making the desktop icons or launching the applications from the
auto-generated '.exe'  files.   I think this is not specific to Larch, and
not something I'm going to be able to fix or work around easily.  For
people who have a space in their username, I believe you will need to
install to another folder.

> I just recreated a new environment with Python 3.7.3 and I was able to
> update to the current version. And thanks for fixing up the import
> statements! Can't wait to use larch on jupyter notebook :).

Great, I'd be interested to see what you use these for.  That is, it might
be nice to have some example notebooks.

--Matt Newville