[Ifeffit] Dynamic XAFS Simulations?

Robert Gordon ragordon at alumni.sfu.ca
Wed Jan 23 16:53:04 CST 2019

Hi,

Welcome to XAFS and all the excitement, thrills and adventure that implies!

First, since you are new to the subject, I would strongly recommend you
take a course
on XAFS. Many synchrotron facilities offer such - e.g. The APS/IIT
Summer school was held
last July; the SSRL course was last August, and NSLS2 had theirs in
November. Any schools
being held this year will likely also be announced on this iFeffit
mailing list.

Some other resources for learning the basics can be found here:
https://www.ixasportal.net/ixas/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=136
Matt's introduction is a good place to start.

For "dynamic XAFS" searches, you should consider "pump probe xafs" or
"time-resolved xafs"
as search terms. Searching for pump probe xafs for me easily yielded
this article
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-43866-5_9

As for simulation of XAFS, one program is FEFF, developed by the Rehr
Group at the University of Washington
http://feff.phys.washington.edu/
FEFF9 (8, 7) requires a license and modest fee for academic use, and is
widely used for simulating both the
near edge and extended fine structure. Bruce Ravel's Demeter suite of
programs for XAFS processing and analysis
includes an earlier version (FEFF6). Demeter is free - mostly a labour
of love by Bruce, and he likes beer and maple syrup if you happen to run
into him at a conference.

FDMNES (Yves Joly group, Institut Neel) is another program for
simulating the near-edge. I find it works
quite well. It allows for tweaking of the starting electronic
configuration as well (with cautionary notes) that
might be useful for simulating excited systems (I haven't checked
literature to see if anyone has done so).

An additional program of note for fitting and simulation is GNXAS
(DiCicco group, U. Camerino) but I haven't
used it myself.

I am probably overlooking others, but these should get you going. I
strongly recommend you take a course
on the basics before plunging into any of these.

cheers,
Robert