[Ifeffit] Advice on using Athena for XANES LCF on spectra with a small edge step?

Mike Massey mmassey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 19:23:27 CST 2019

Hi Scott,

I collect up to 2240 eV often, because that's about where the mirror stops, but end up truncating it at 2200 eV before fitting because sometimes I end up with all sorts of non-systematic background things at higher energies, depending on the sample.

I still collect the data because it helps me to troubleshoot, but I chop it before fitting because 2200 eV is the limit of what I normally consider consistently "good data." I end up with spectra that, to my eye anyway, are comparable. For dilute samples, I don't usually trust it beyond that. For concentrated samples, I don't have a problem.

Thanks,

Mike