[Ifeffit] Advice on using Athena for XANES LCF on spectra with a small edge step?

Mike Massey mmassey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 18:11:46 CST 2019

Hi All,

Does anyone have advice for LCF of spectra with a small edge step?

I've recently found myself with more and more issues fitting spectra like the one shown in the attached photo, where the spectrum is of good quality, but the fits end up not working out due to normalization (as far as I can tell).

Sadly, I have so far ended up just throwing these fits out, but I'm hoping there is a better solution out there that someone might be able to recommend.

One solution is "get more of the element of interest," as a beamline scientist recently told me. I'm just reluctant to really load it up in the data collection, because at 2 keV I get nervous about artifacts like self-absorption.

Is there a better way? What am I missing?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mike