[Ifeffit] Standard deviation of R value

Anatoly Frenkel anatoly.frenkel at stonybrook.edu
Fri Jan 11 10:18:03 CST 2019

As an additional comment, it is a murky issue whether the reported thing
together with R is the standard deviation. It is not easy to find it in the
literature but there are some papers dating back to the 1990s that state
that the uncertainties reported in the EXAFS fitting results correspond to
the 95% confidence level which means 2 standard deviations for an
approximately normal data set. I don't think it is correct. Regardless
whether the distribution of some or all fitting variables are treated by
the Levenburg-Marquartd method as normal or not, the reported error is
really not a standard deviation but a square root of the element in a
covariance matrix. What is the relationship of that and the standard
deviation of the fitting variable is one of the few remaining unsolved
mysteries in EXAFS analysis.

Anatoly