[Ifeffit] Standard deviation of R value

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 11 10:04:49 CST 2019

Hi Erin,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 8:19 AM Erin Finley <efinley9033 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I see in many publications the R value reported with a standard
> deviation. However, when I look at my resulting data from a fit I don't see
> one listed. I am still new to EXAFS research and so I am wondering where I
> can get this information. I am assuming I need to calculate it from another
> parameter I am just not sure which one.

The uncertainties in R are typically in the fit report.  But also, we
typically refine a "delR" parameter that is R - Reff, where Reff is the
distance (half path-lengh) for the scattering path.  So, if you don't see
an uncertainty reported for R but do see an uncertainty for delR (or
whatever parameter name you used), use that.  The uncertainty in R will
(normally) be the uncertainty in delR.

If I'm misunderstanding the question, pleas give more details about what
you are doing.

--Matt

Thanks for your help!

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-252-0431