[Ifeffit] Larch 0.9.41

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 7 21:20:01 CST 2019

Hi Folks,

Larch 0.9.41 is now available, with installers for Windows, MacOS, and
Linux at
   https://millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov/xraylarch/installation.html

If you have already installed Larch 0.9.39 or later, you should be able to
update to the latest version with `conda update -c gsecars xraylarch`,

Larch 0.9.41 is about six months in the making.  There have been some
important improvements in XAFS and XANES analysis, including improved
MBACK algorithm (thanks Marco Alsina!) and many bugfixes and in the XAS
Viewer GUI for pre-edge peak-fitting and linear combination analysis.

Significant improvements have also been made X-ray microprobe analysis,
including for XRF analysis as well as XRF and XRD mapping tools, including
support for reconstructing X-ray fluorescence and diffraction tomography
data.   Larch now includes the very useful Dioptas GUI for XRD patterns
from Clemens Prescher.  At the very least, this can be used to view and
calibrate X-ray diffraction data ("replace Fit2D") using pyFAI and related
libraries from the folks at ESRF.

For Python programmers:

Version 0.9.41 makes a small but significant step toward making Larch a
"more normal Python library", so that Python scripts using Larch as a
library can avoid having to create and keep a running interpreter for many
basic analysis steps, including interacting with the database of X-ray
properties that includes data from Elam et al, Chantler, and so on.

Version 0.9.41 works with Python 3.7, 3.6, and 2.7.  The installers linked
above are built with Anaconda Python 3.6.   Most dependencies are also
available as conda or pip packages for Python 3.7, and some are available
with Python 2.7.

This is the last version of Larch to be tested with Python 2.7.  We will
not deliberately break Python 2.7 until after 0.9.42 is released, at which
point Larch will stop working with Python 2.7.   We expect this to happen
in two or three months.   In the meantime, we will not intentionally break
things for Python 2 but will no longer test or support Python 2.

Please let us know if you having any questions or trouble.

Cheers,

--Matt Newville