[Ifeffit] Download Demeter in Ubuntu 18.04

Joseph Zsombor-Pindera joseph.zpindera at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 08:48:07 CST 2019

Hi there Sri;

I have had some success installing Demeter on Ubuntu. I have compiled it on
my personal computer running Ubuntu 18.04, but unfortunately, it isn't
plotting properly, however I was able to successfully install it on my
colleagues computer running Ubuntu 16.04. Matt Newville is correct.
Installing PGPlot from source would be a huge headache and wouldn't work.
There is, however, a pgplot5 package available for Ubuntu, which you can
install with "sudo apt-get install pgplot5". Here is the general process
that seems to successfully compile Demeter on a clean install of Ubuntu.
Depending on which packages you already have installed, this may change a
little bit. I have written my explanations with # comments, so things that
aren't commented are commands:

#some packages you may need to install:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install libmodule-build-perl
sudo apt-get install gfortran
sudo apt-get install libx11-dev libcurses5 libcurses5-dev
sudo apt-get install libx11-dev libncurses5 libncurses5-dev
sudo apt-get install libgif-dev
sudo apt-get install libgif7
sudo apt-get install libwxgtk3.0-dev
sudo apt-get install libwxgtk-dev
sudo apt-get install libwtgtk-dev
sudo apt-get install pgplot5

#now clone Ifeffit (you may need to install git if you don't have it):
git clone https://github.com/newville/ifeffit.git
git pull
cd ifeffit-master

#now you need to make Ifeffit
./configure
#you may get an error like "can't find TERMCAP dir". This is because you
need to define the TERMCAP library in the Makefile. You have would have
installed libncurses5 with the package manager commands above (see
http://signe.teokem.lu.se/~ulf/Methods/ifeffit.html (heading "Successful
installation of 1.2.11c 22/2-19")
locate ncurses
#this will print many directories. Look for stuff like
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libncurses.so.5
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libncurses.so.5.9
#now edit the Makefile
vi src/cmdline/Makefile
#edit the line starting with "TERMCAP_LIB" as follows (excluding quotes):
""TERMCAP_LIB= -L/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libncurses.so.5 -lncurses
#for me the libncurses.so.5 dir worked and the libncurses.so.5.9 dir did not
#install Ifeffit
make
sudo make install
#this should print the following:
===
=== Ifeffit 1.2.12 installed.
===
    to install or upgrade the Athena and Artemis, please do:
       perl horae_update
    to use this version of Ifeffit with Python, please do:
       cd wrappers/python
       python setup.py install

#now clone Demeter:
git clone https://github.com/bruceravel/demeter.git
git pull
cd demeter
chmod +x Build.PL

perl ./Build.PL
#you will get an error like "Can't locate demeterbuilder.pm in @INC. This
is because Perl needs to know where nonstandard perlmodules are located.
There are two solutions. Either add "export PERL5LIB=/path/to/demeter" to
your ~/.bashrc or edit the following line to the top of Build.PL (excluding
quotes):
"use lib '/path/to/demeter';"
#now run the Perl script:
perl ./Build.PL

#now use the Build script to install the dependencies. Like Bruce Ravell
says, this takes some time. First run:
sudo cpan
#and at the cpan> prompt type the following:
o conf build_requires_install_policy yes
o conf prerequisites_policy follow
o conf commit
#now install the dependencies:
sudo ./Build installdeps
#this takes ~30 mins. Follow the prompts. The script will eventually get
stuck in a loop with lines like "I can't find your apache src. Please tell
me where I can find your apache src". Just press Ctrl+C and the script
terminates. It should print something like the following:
Installing /usr/local/man/man3/Cpanel::JSON::XS::Boolean.3pm
Installing /usr/local/man/man3/Cpanel::JSON::XS::Type.3pm
Installing /usr/local/man/man3/Cpanel::JSON::XS.3pm
Installing /usr/local/bin/cpanel_json_xs
Appending installation info to
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26/perllocal.pod
  RURBAN/Cpanel-JSON-XS-4.12.tar.gz
  /usr/bin/make install  -- OK

#now run the Perl script again:
perl ./Build.PL
#when you run "perl ./Build.PL" it will complain about missing
dependencies. stuff like "WARNING: the following files are missing in your
kit: documentation/sphinx/ext/sphinx_clatex/__init__.py" doesn't matter,
but "Build test" won't work unless all the perl modules Build.PL can
complain about are installed. You need to do this with cpan. For me it was
XMLPRC::Lite, Graphics::GnuplotIF, and Wx. You can install these modules by
running "sudo cpan -i module" or, alternatively "sudo cpan" followed by
"install module" at the cpan> prompt.
sudo cpan -i XMLPRC::Lite #worked on one computer. On another I had to
install it from within cpan, but then it worked.
sudo cpan -i Graphics::GnuplotIF #worked.
sudo cpan -i Wx #caused me many problems.
sudo apt-install libwxgtk-media3.0-dev
sudo apt-get install labalien-wxwidgets-perl
sudo apt-get install libwx-perl
sudo cpan -i Wx #after installing the above packages, it worked.
#install these Perl modules until you can run "perl ./Build.PL" without
complaints

#now install Demeter
./Build
./Build test
#if all the above steps worked then this should run without complaints
sudo ./Build install

#now you should be able to run Demeter programs like
sudo dathena

This procedure got Demeter successfully running on a computer running
Ubuntu 16.04, and I think it should work for 18.04 too, but I would try it
on a fresh install.

I hope this helps :- )
-Joseph

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 10:17 PM sri tapaswi <sritapaswi2007 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>       I am using the following link to install Demeter from the source
> code.
> http://bruceravel.github.io/demeter/documents/SinglePage/installation.html
>
>       In step-1, when I do "./configure", it gives an error that says
> "could not find TERMCAP Libraries : 'make' will fail". Through internet
> sources, I found that, I require ncurses5 library because termcap library
> is obsolete for my version of Ubuntu i.e. Ubuntu 18.04 and also found that
> ncurses5 was already installed in my distribution. In this context, please
> guide me on the way forward to solve this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Sri Tapaswi Nori
>
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 1:33 PM sri tapaswi <sritapaswi2007 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>>      Please guide me on the ways to download, install, and run Demeter
>> software such as Athena on linux distribution, Ubuntu 18.04.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sri Tapaswi Nori

*Joseph Zsombor-Pindera, BSc*
PhD Student, UBC Chemistry