[Ifeffit] how to best implement fitting u (oxygen parameter) in an spinel

Ravel, Bruce bravel at bnl.gov
Mon Apr 1 13:49:01 CDT 2019

The assumption we make when doing EXAFS analysis with Feff and any
Feff-using tool (Artemis, for example, but there are others) is that a
small change in local configuration affects the argument of the sin() in
the EXAFS equation significantly, but the scattering function negligibly.

To say that another way, a small change in length between absorber and
scatterer is clearly visible in sin(2kr).  However, if you were to
recalculate the scattering function upon making that small change in
configuration, you would find that the scattering function changes very
little.

Thus, to a good approximation, we can compute the scattering functions
using a starting configuration, then model changes in configuration as
deltaR terms in the analysis.

In Artemis, this means writing interesting math expressions in the
deltaR fields for the paths that you include in the fit.  Those math
expressions should encapsulate the way that a change in your u parameter
changes the absorber-scatterer distances.

This is discussed in the Artemis user manual and in LOTS of EXAFS
analysis papers in the literature that do this.  Look up papers by names
that you recognize from this mailing list.

HTH,