[Ifeffit] Energy Resolution

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Thu May 10 11:06:25 CDT 2018

Hi Julian:

I would be happy to help with this.  Let me answer briefly on the list and
afterward, if you like, just contact me privately and we can discuss in
more depth.

S02 is a property of the absorbing atom and is due to the change in
electronic energy levels because of the present  of a core hole after the
photoabsorption event.  It is usually considered to be transferable from
material to material with the same element because it is really a local
property.  However, in practice it does depend on the type of compound you
are measuring and the beamline as well as the type of measurement you are
making (transmission, fluorescence).  All of these factors can masquerade
a amplitude reduction factor.

What I do in practice is to measure a standard which has the same local
environment and fit the EXAFS with the known structure to extract an S02
which I then use transferably.

As for your question about delta R.  If your EXAFS cannot be fit using an
isotropic expansion model (not always the best way anyway) then you most
likely need to make the delta R parameters independent.  There is
absolutely no reason to correlate a shorter path with a longer path even
if it is the same element, unless you are using a known structure model
out of which you are trying to extract specific parameters.

Hope this helps.

Carlo